Many bloggers, writers, and online entrepreneurs, struggle with the fact that they have to spend a lot of time working a day job that has nothing to do with their life goals. Working for “the man” can be a particular challenge for those who are filled with creativity.
Deciding when to quit your day job, or to quit anything else that takes up a huge chunk of your time, is a tough call. So when do you really know it’s time to call it quits?
It’s time to quit your day job when…
- Quitting is what you fear most but it’s all you can think about
- You no longer like the flavor of the company Kool-Aid
- You can’t move the company needle no matter how hard you push
- You don’t even know where the company needle is anymore
- You start to see the underside of the bus more often than the driver’s seat
- You know just what you’d do to pursue your goals if you quit
- Your personal business cards are the ones you carry (and you don’t even know where your work ones are)
- You have nothing else to say about foldover business cards (or whatever product the company sells)
- You no longer believe in what you’re doing
- You’re unexcited about the future
- There is no path to promotion that appeals to you
- Your personal growth and development are limited
- It takes all your motivation away
- You’re angry all the time
- You develop health problems
- What you do is never enough
- You’ve been committed to your work but they’re still not committed to you
Of course, we all know that it’s not the act of quitting we’re afraid of. It’s what happens after.
“What if I quit and then fail miserably and fall and my face and am embarrassed then use up all our money and my family ends up having to eat left over noodles from the trash bin?”
“What if I succeed wildly and then I have to keep it up, have nowhere to hide, and people expect me to be that great all the time so I never have a day off again?”
Failure or success. Pitfalls either way, yes?
Is your day job taking a piece of your soul?
If your answer is yes, then you know what you have to do.
Are you ready to go for it?
Subscribe to Zencopy by RSS feed or enter your email address here:
(to confirm that you’re fully you and really human just click on the link in the email you receive to verify your email address).